Northern Burgundy: Seine & Yonne River
We meet at your hotel in Paris and travel by private motor coach to Samois sur Seine, where you will board Your Ship Aurora for a welcome reception with Champagne & petits fours, followed by a short walk through the village.
Cruise to Montereau. Possible excursions:
- Chateau de Fontainebleau, famous Palace where the French Kings used to hunt.
- Garden-Museum of Antoine Bourdelle, situated in an old “Briare” farm showing his famous sculptures
- Barbizon, hometown of the Ecole de Fontainebleau painting movement, with the Auberge Gannes where the artist used to live, and the many art galleries of the village
- Moret sur Loing, a charming medieval town where Impressionists once lived and took their inspiration (Sisley’s house), the Candy Museum of the Nuns of Moret and the Grange Bateliere, house of Clemenceau, named “Pere la Victoire”, stateman during World War I
Cruise to Courlon sur Yonne.
- Chateau de Vaux Le Vicomte, one of the most beautiful palaces of France, built for Fouquet, finance Minister of Louis XIV, which inspired the building of Versailles by the same 3 artists: Le Vau, architect, Le Brun, painter, Le Notre, gardener. Fouquet’s arrest inspired the famous story “The Man with the Iron Mask”
- Visit Provins, a magnificent medieval town in the near Champagne region with 12th & 13th cent. fortified walls and typical picturesque wooden houses and its medieval and Renaissance Museum. Shopping available.
Cruise and mooring in the Center of Sens.
- Cathedral St Etienne & Synodal Palace, where the Bishops used to live. Magnificent collection of Religious Art and private collection of the Bishops. In the cellar, an impressive Gallo-Roman archeological treasure. Shopping available
Cruise to Villeneuve sur Yonne.
- Picnic and extensive visit & wine tasting of the most famous Chardonnay in the pretty village of Chablis, called the “golden gate” of Burgundy with narrow stone streets and houses dating from the 14th to 16th century. A must for all wine enthusiasts and connoiseurs!
Cruise to Joigny, a picturesque town with gorgeous townhouses, churches and monuments nestled along the first vineyards of Burgundy.
- Visit Auxerre – a beautiful Medieval city filled with timber houses, church spires, impressive 15th-cent clock tower and a pleasant port on the Yonne river.
Shopping available in this bustling city’s cobblestones pedestrian streets in the old quarter and open Market, ample opportunities for nice strolls round the city.
Breakfast on board and late morning return to Paris (hotels or airport) by private van.
Excursions are tailor-made to suit your interests